It’s a sort of silly tradition in my house that each New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day we go back over the year and talk about our high points and low points. I’m always amazed at how many things I forget- both good and bad!
A lot sure does happen in a year and sometimes it’s hard to remember it all unless you write it down. We go through each day worrying about the little details on our to-do list and never really appreciate the things crossed off a list, or those unplanned accomplishments, until we get it out on paper. When we zoom out and look at the year holistically, its pretty amazing from a 360 degrees point of view.
Looking back on 2012 my life and as a business owner was a very different year than most previous. It was slower and I don’t mean that in a bad way. Oftentimes busyness is equated to success, but we’re all successful in our own ways regardless of how much activity is in our lives.
In 2012 the biggest difference was I didn’t travel as much, drink wine as much or attend networking events. I spent a lot of time watching life unfold and observing. I tried to maintain a sense of just letting go and taking life day-by-day. It was a quiet year as I prepped to become a first-time mom.
Some high points included:
- Having the cutest little baby boy on the planet
- Teaching 2 more college courses as an adjunct
- Spotting Jared Leto 2 feet from me at SXSW
- Hiring my first two BrandKit employees
- Landing the day job of my dreams
- Launching a small Etsy store and rediscovering my passion for DIY and crafts
- Joining an amazing group of new-Momma entrepreneurs
I’ll be honest and there were some low, low, low points, but everyone has them. It what makes you appreciate all the good in life. Looking back, my word from 2012 was ‘Acceptance’ and even though it was super hard at times, I did the best I could to just accept life one day at a time. I needed that word and looked to it for guidance.
Whats in Store for the next 365 Days
For 2013 my word of the year is: Reconnect. After spending a year stressing over this tiny new person in my life, it’s time to do some self-love and care. My aim is to reconnect with my friends, my sisters and family, my significant other, my passions and my health. I want to take better care of myself in order to be a better mom, partner, friend, sister, employee and business owner.
Some seriously awesome plans are in the works for 2013 already and I know this year will just fly by (from both busyness AND excitement!) To help organize all these fabulous things to come, I created a 2013 Goal Map with the help of a coach and long time friend Molly Mahar of Stratejoy. I encourage you to do the same. I took her Get it Off the Ground course in December and as a result came up with my own Goal Map exercise that I’d like to share.
Creating A Goal Map
Step 1: Make a long list of all the things you want to do, places to go, people to meet and events for the next 12 months. Give them weight and quantify your goals with numbers.
Step 2: Find a blank piece of paper.
Step 3: Put your name in the center of the page. Decorate it and make it stand out. Use color if you want.
Step 4: Divide that paper into 3 sections and label: Life, Business and Family
Step 5: Take your long list and transfer each item to its appropriate section.
Step 6: Draw little checkboxes next to each item
Step 7: Title this Goal Map 2013
Step 8: Hang in a high-traffic area. (Studies have shown when you frequently see your goals and write them down you’re more likely to achieve them.)
And just for fun, here’s a sneak peak at some of what I’m looking forward to in 2013:
- World Domination Summit 2013
This has been on my goal list for two years and I finally scored a ticket to the 2013 conference! I hope to meet some inspiring people that are changing the world and experience Portland, which I’ve heard is very similar to Austin, TX.
- Destination weddings
One is in California and I’ve never been! Two trips to the West Coast this year who hooo!
- My sister comes to Austin
All of our family lives in NY so this is going to be a highlight of my year when my sister moves.
Some of my business goals include:
- Hosting an online book club. I’m on a quest to read four inspirational books in 2013. Want to join me?
- Guest speaking or hosting four workshops on branding, social media or blogging. (I already have 2 on the calendar- how crazy is that?!)
- Hosting six Accountability Circle‘s for female entrepreneurs and bloggers. My Beta group sold out in 3 days and I can’t wait to see who else I meet through these circles. I’m already impressed with the way the first group is helping each other conquer goals.
- Rebranding and developing a new website for BrandKit. This new site will be geared at building a community of female entrepreneurs, bloggers and mompreneurs and include strategies for DIY marketing and branding.
- Earning income from BrandKit.
Whew! That’s a lot, I know. But doesn’t it make you want to create your own Goal Map now?! Even if its not the start of the year and you get off to a late start, make one anyways. Once you’ve finished, share with us!
I want to know, what’s on your 2013 Goal Map?